Re: reiser4 for 2.6.27-rc1

From: Tim Tassonis
Date: Wed Aug 13 2008 - 11:24:58 EST

Ryan Hope wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Tim Tassonis <timtas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am in favour of renaming reiser4 exactly because it is not yet in and
naming a filesystem after its author is not as automatic as putting the name
of the singer on a record sleeve.

There is no point in renaming the filesystem, its already known as
reiser4, it should stay that way.

One last (batch of) comment(s):

I am not advocating renaming the existing -mm implementation to something else so it can rot there under a different name.

I can very well live with reiser4 not making it into mainline, I never used reiser3 (only once for two, and after a power outage rendered the fs unusable and fsck did fsck all, I chose reliability over "performance") and am quite happy with ext3 for years and btrfs looks promising, too.

I was merely thinking: If reiser4 really is all that great and some people want it desperately in mainline, apart from fixing outstanding issues or convincing Al etc there are none left, they might rename it to reduce the controversy potential over its inclusion. I would think that for people desperately wanting it in, the features of reiser4 are more important than the name and the name is probably somewhat "difficult".

Renaming something for political reasons is certainly something you shouldn't do aggressively, but I would favour it in this case:
- For mainline, it's no rename, as it is not in yet.
- I don't like having the author's name as the fs's name anyway.
- It might save some unnecessary bad press .

On the other hand, I guess the real victims probably don't care and so it wouldn't bother me that much either.

Tim