Re: Efficient x86 and x86_64 NOP microbenchmarks

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Wed Aug 13 2008 - 14:45:45 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
So for me the best strategy would be to get rid of the frame pointer
and ignore the nops. This unfortunately would require going away
from -pg and instead post process gcc output to insert "call mcount"
manually. But the nice advantage of that is that you could actually set up a custom table of callers built in a ELF section and with
that you don't actually need the runtime patching (which is only
done currently because there's no global table of mcount calls),
but could do everything in stop_machine(). Without
runtime patching you also don't need single part nops.

I think that would be the best option. I especially like it because
it would prevent forcing frame pointer which seems to be costlier
than any kinds of nosp.

How would you deal with inlines? Using debug information?

signature is too narrow to contain.