Re: Efficient x86 and x86_64 NOP microbenchmarks

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Aug 13 2008 - 16:01:49 EST

[
Thanks to Mathieu Desnoyers who forward this to me. Currently my ISP for goodmis.org is having issues:
https://help.domaindirect.com/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=104
]
----- Forwarded message from Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -----

So microbenchmarking this way will probably make some things look unrealistically good.

Must be careful to miss the big picture here.

We have two assumptions here in this thread:

- Normal alternative() nops are relatively infrequent, typically
in points with enough pipeline bubbles anyways, and it likely doesn't
matter how they are encode. And also they don't have an issue
with mult part instructions anyways because they're not patched
at runtime, so always the best known can be used.

- The one case where nops are very frequent and matter and multipart
is a problem is with ftrace noping out the call to mcount at runtime because that happens on every function entry.
Even there the overhead is not that big, but at least measurable in kernel builds.

The problem is not ftrace noping out the call at runtime. The problem is ftrace changing the nops back to calls to mcount.

The nop part is simple, straight forward and not an issue that we are talking here. The issue is which kind of nop to use. The bug with the multi-part nop happens when we _enable_ tracing. That is, when someone runs the tracer. The issue with the multi-part nop is that a task could have been preempted after it executed the first nop and before the second part. Then we enable tracing, and when the task is scheduled back in, it now will execute half the call to the mcount function.

I want this point very clear. If you never run tracing, this bug will not happen. And the bug only happens on enabling the tracer, not on the disabling part. Not to mention that the bug itself will only happen 1 in a billion.

Now the numbers have shown that just by not using frame pointer (
-pg right now implies frame pointer) you can get more benefit than what you lose from using non optimal nops.

No, I can easily make a patch that does not use frame pointers but still uses -pg. We just can not print the parent function in the trace. This can easily be added to a config, as well as easily implemented.
So for me the best strategy would be to get rid of the frame pointer
and ignore the nops. This unfortunately would require going away
from -pg and instead post process gcc output to insert "call mcount"
manually. But the nice advantage of that is that you could actually set up a custom table of callers built in a ELF section and with
that you don't actually need the runtime patching (which is only
done currently because there's no global table of mcount calls),
but could do everything in stop_machine(). Without
runtime patching you also don't need single part nops.

I'm totally confused here. How do you enable function tracing? How do we make a call to the code that will trace a function was hit?

I think that would be the best option. I especially like it because
it would prevent forcing frame pointer which seems to be costlier
than any kinds of nosp.

As I stated, the frame pointer part is only to record the parent function in tracing. ie:

ls-4866 [00] 177596.041275: _spin_unlock <-journal_stop

Here we see that the function _spin_unlock was called by the function journal_stop. We can easily turn off parent tracing now, with:

# echo noprint-parent > /debug/tracing/iter_ctrl

which gives us just:

ls-4866 [00] 177596.041275: _spin_unlock

If we disable frame pointers, the noprint-parent option would be forced. Not that devastating, but it gives the option to still have function tracing to the user without the requirement of having frame pointers.

I would still require that the irqsoff tracer add frame pointers, just because knowing that the long latency of interrupts disabled happened at local_irq_save doesn't cut it ;-)

Anyway, who would want to run with frame pointers disabled? If you ever get a bug crash, the stack trace is pretty much useless.

-- Steve