Re: [regression?] [resend] Memory zone info seems incomplete in boottime dmesg output

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Fri Aug 15 2008 - 06:06:13 EST

On (14/08/08 12:13), Andrew Morton didst pronounce:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:42:23 +0200
> Frans Pop <elendil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > With 2.6.26 I get:
> > <snip>
> > Zone PFN ranges:
> > DMA 0 -> 4096
> > DMA32 4096 -> 1048576
> > Normal 1048576 -> 1048576
> > Movable zone start PFN for each node
> > early_node_map[4] active PFN ranges
> > 0: 0 -> 159
> > 0: 256 -> 521844
> > 0: 521961 -> 521964
> > 0: 521983 -> 521984
> > On node 0 totalpages: 521751
> > DMA zone: 56 pages used for memmap
> > DMA zone: 1271 pages reserved
> > DMA zone: 2672 pages, LIFO batch:0
> > DMA32 zone: 7081 pages used for memmap
> > DMA32 zone: 510671 pages, LIFO batch:31
> > Normal zone: 0 pages used for memmap
> > Movable zone: 0 pages used for memmap
> > </snip>
> >
> > With 2.6.27-rc1 I only get pages listed for 2 zones (bottom part):
> > <snip>
> > Zone PFN ranges:
> > DMA 0x00000000 -> 0x00001000
> > DMA32 0x00001000 -> 0x00100000
> > Normal 0x00100000 -> 0x00100000
> > Movable zone start PFN for each node
>
> I'd have expected something to be printed here?
>
> > early_node_map[4] active PFN ranges
> > 0: 0x00000000 -> 0x0000009f
> > 0: 0x00000100 -> 0x0007f674
> > 0: 0x0007f6e9 -> 0x0007f6ec
> > 0: 0x0007f6ff -> 0x0007f700
> > On node 0 totalpages: 521751
> > DMA zone: 2072 pages, LIFO batch:0
> > DMA32 zone: 506625 pages, LIFO batch:31
> > </snip>
>
> It could be deliberate, I forget. Maybe we trimmed nr_nodemap_entries
> to not include empty zones. Hopefully Mel will recall.

Assuming you mean the "used for memmap" message, it is being surpressed
by the mminit debugging framework which converted a number of printks to
mminit_dprintk. The expectation was that they were not generally useful
messages except when debugging memory init problems. They would show up
again if mminit_loglevel=4 was specified on the kernel command line.

> > Note that totalpages is the same and that for 2.6.26 the sum of pages for
> > all listed zones is equal to totalpages. Seems we've lost useful info
> > here.
> >
> > I also seem to have "lost" 600 LIFO batch pages for DMA and 4000 for DMA32
> > between the kernel versions although that could be due to config changes
> > (I enabled some extra debugging options). Harder to tell though without
> > the info where they've gone...
>
> I can't see that from the above information?

The decrease in pages could be accounted for by either a larger memmap
(unlikely unless the size of struct page has changed) or a larger reserve
needed for the kernel image which is possible if more debugging options are
enabled. Setting mminit_loglevel=4 should show up the values.

> > Cheers,
> > FJP
> >
> > P.S. As a user I really don't find the hex values easier to read/use than
> > the decimal values. Except maybe for the "Zone PFN ranges" where things
> > seem to be nicely aligned.

That change was from Paul Jackson (commit
5dab8ec139be215fbaba216fb4aea914d0f4dac5) who appeared to be trying to
make boot messages more consistent. He's cc'd for comment.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center