Re: [malware-list] TALPA - a threat model? well sorta.

From: Jan Harkes
Date: Fri Aug 15 2008 - 16:16:48 EST

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 05:35:29PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:24:28 -0400
> "Press, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Press@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I may be missing something about your suggestion, but I don't see how
> > this would work. Who does the chmod?
>
> Chmod is also not a solution to the hierarchical storage (or incremental
> restore from backup) problem.
>
> I believe we really do need the block-on-open.

Or use either the Fuse or Coda kernel modules and handle such requests
in userspace. With FUSE you should even be able to block on a per-page
granularity, Coda only has session semantics so it will only notify
userspace of the open and close events, while read and write and mmap
are passed directly to the underlying file.

Jan