Re: [malware-list] scanner interface proposal was:[TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning

From: Eric Paris
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 14:34:25 EST

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 13:54 -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 18:25 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > I think I'm going to stick with my special file in securityfs since it
> > > makes it some simple to install the fd in the scanning process (as
> > > opposed to netlink where I don't even know how it would be possible...)
> >
> > AF_UNIX passes file handles just fine. I'm not sure netlink will help you
> > here anyway - isn't it lossy under load ?
>
> But the file being installed needs to be at least RD for AV/Indexer.
> Particularly of interest to people here would be a file opened O_WRONLY
> and then the indexer wouldn't have the ability to read the data that was
> just written. So we need a new FD, can't just send the old one.

Also not knowing much about sending FD's over AF_UNIX sockets, do they
share the same seek offsets or does the new process get a new fd which
points to the same data? I wouldn't want to have to count on the
indexer to not move the offset around on the bittorrent client. Like I
said, haven't never used sendmsg to pass a socket I don't know what you
get on the other end.

-Eric