Re: [discuss] memrlimit - potential applications that can use

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Tue Aug 19 2008 - 11:59:10 EST

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 12:48 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> 1. To provide a soft landing mechanism for applications that exceed their memory
> limit. Currently in the memory resource controller, we swap and on failure OOM.
> 2. To provide a mechanism similar to memory overcommit for control groups.
> Overcommit has finer accounting, we just account for virtual address space usage.
> 3. Vserver will directly be able to port over on top of memrlimit (their address
> space limitation feature)

Balbir,

This all seems like a little bit too much hand waving to me. I don't
really see a single concrete user in the "potential applications" here.
I really don't understand why you're pushing this so hard if you don't
have anyone to actually use it.

I just don't see anyone that *needs* it. There's a lot of "it would be
nice", but no "needs".

-- Dave