Re: kernel won't boot on a Cyrix MediaGXm (Geode )

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Aug 20 2008 - 07:20:59 EST

* Juergen Beisert <jbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 20. August 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Juergen Beisert <jbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > The system can freeze. The clock the incrementor modifies is used for
> > > the external SDRAM (something like a delay line or jitter reduction).
> > > Thats why its setting depends on the core clock speed.
> >
> > so, what's the recommendation - is the patch fine? (which removes
> > incrementor setting, leaving it to the BIOS)
>
> In my environment I need the incrementor setting in accordance to the
> CPU core frequency, as my BIOS sets a wrong value. Removing it is no
> solution for me.
>
> But: There where a few bug reports in the last weeks, and all had
> problems when the incrementor setting is changed inside the kernel.
> Seems only my BIOS is broken.
>
> So I vote for removing the incrementor setting. I can life with a
> local patch for my kernels.

is there any way to specifically identify your board/bios combo, like a
DMI string? I have absolutely no problem with adding a quirk for your
box. In fact i'd much prefer that solution than you having to carry a
local patch - quirks are local only in the rarest of circumstances.

Mind doing a quirk patch ontop of the patch below, for us to apply for
v2.6.27?

Ingo