Re: [GIT]: Networking

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Aug 20 2008 - 12:10:47 EST

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> John was just pointing out (like myself before) that a lot of people are
> under the impression that documentation updates and new drivers should
> not be queued up and merged as soon as possible.

I think (and hey, I'm flexible, and we can discuss this) that the rules
should be:

- by default, the answer should always be "don't push anything after the
merge window unless it fixes a regression or a nasty bug".

Here "nasty bug" is something that is a problem in practice, and not
something theoretical that people haven't really reported.

- but as a special case, we relax that for totally new drivers (and that
includes things like just adding a new PCI or USB ID's to old drivers),
because (a) it can't really regress and (b) support for a specific
piece of hardware can often be critical.

With regard to that second case, I'd like to note that obviously even a
totally new driver _can_ regress, in the sense that it can cause build
errors, or problems that simply wouldn't have happened without that
driver. So the "cannot regress" obviously isn't strictly true, but I
think everybody understands what I really mean.

It should also be noted that the "new driver" exception should only be an
issue for things that _matter_.

For example, a machine without networking support (or without suppoort for
a some other really core driver that provides basic functionality) is
practically useless. But a machine without support for some particular
webcam or support for some special keys on a particular keyboard? That
really doesn't matter, and might as well wait for the next release.

So the "merge drivers early" is for drivers that reasonably _matter_ in
the sense that it allows people to test Linux AT ALL on the platform. It
shouldn't be "any possible random driver".

IOW, think about the drivers a bit like a distro would think about
backporting drivers to a stable kernel. Which ones are really needed?

Also, note that "new driver" really should be that. If it's an older
driver, and you need to touch _any_ old code to add a new PCI ID or
something, the whole argument about it not breaking falls away. Don't do
it. I think, for example, that the SCSI people seem to be a bit too eager
sometimes to update their drivers for new revisions of cards, and they do
it to old drivers.

And finally - the rules should be guidelines. It really isn't always
black-and-white, but most of the time the simple question of "could this
_possibly_ be just queued for the next release without hurting anything"
should be the basic one. If the answer is "yes", then wait.

Linus