Rationale for paccept() sigset argument?

From: Michael Kerrisk
Date: Wed Aug 20 2008 - 12:54:35 EST

Ulrich,

I'll need to cover this point in the man pages, and the rationale still isn't
clear to me, so I'll check it with you...

2.6.27-rc has paccept():

int paccept(int fd, struct sockaddr *sockaddr, socklen_t *addrlen,
const sigset_t *sigmask, int setsize, int flags)

paccept() blocks until either a connection is received on fd, or a signal is
sigmask() is caught.

What is the rationale for the sigset argument of paccept()?

For pselect()/ppoll()/epoll_pwait(), the sigset argument allows us to deal
with a not uncommon situation: waiting for both signals and (multiple) file
descriptors. (The alternative is the self-pipe trick, which requires more
programming effort.)

However, do we really need this argument for paccept()? I ask this for the
following reasons:

* This seems to be special casing for accept(). But there are other system
calls (e.g., open(), connect(), recvfrom()) that are similar, in the sense
that they may wait on a file descriptor, for which there is no [perceived
need for a] sigset argument.

* It seems to me that any case where we might want to use paccept() could be
equivalently dealt with using the existing pselect()/ppoll()/epoll_pwait()
followed by a conventional accept() if the listening file descriptor
indicates as ready. (But perhaps I missed something?)

Can you please explain why we need this special case for [p]accept()?

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk