Re: [ANNOUNCE] mdb: Merkey's Linux Kernel Debugger 2.6.27-rc4 released

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Thu Aug 21 2008 - 10:13:23 EST

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 23:37 +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2008 22:26, jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I used the smp_wmb() functions. I noted a couple of things. a) some of
> > these macros just emit __asm__ __volatile__ into the code so why not just
> > say "volatile" to begin with
>
> It is not the same as volatile type. What it does is tell the compiler
> to clobber all registers or temporaries. This something pretty well
> defined and hard to get wrong compared to volatile type.

Right, asm volatile () means that the asm may not be discarted. Very
different from the volatile type qualifier.

> > b) smp_wmb() in some cases worked and in
> > other cases jut optimized away the global reference.
>
> Linux barriers aren't going to force a load to be emitted, if it can be
> optimized away. If it optimized away a store, then I'd like to see a
> test case.

Not sure - I think all barrier clobber the full register and memory set.
So if you access a variable after a barrier it will have to issue a
load.

Are we talking about different things?

> > c) I can go back and
> > break the code again by inserting them and building broken assembler d) I
> > ave been doing hardware and software design since the early 1980;s, I
> > invented SMP affinity scheduling, and yes, I understand barriers and this
> > concept of instruction score-boarding and optimization very well -- its
> > not an excuse for a busted C compiler.
>
> The point is not whether it is possible to work with volatile types, but
> that we tend not to use them in Linux to deal with concurrency.
>
> Also, barriers seem to work fine for everybody else, so I think it is
> likely you either aren't using them correctly, or have other bugs in the
> code.

Well, there is of course the third option, which is what Jeff claims,
that gcc is broken. But in that case we should have more problems
elsewhere too.