loaded router, excessive getnstimeofday in oprofile

From: Denys Fedoryshchenko
Date: Thu Aug 21 2008 - 21:59:20 EST

I have loaded router (~650 Mbps In+Out), based on 2xAMD Opteron 248, Sun Fire
X4100. HPET timer available (TSC seems not available on this platform).
Network interfaces is onboard, connected over PCI-X.

Right now i am using only one processor, cause using only one interface and
interrupts stick to it. Other is almost not used.
At peak time i notice in mpstat, that this processor is almost "dead", and if
i run minor application consuming resources - ping over this router will be
terrible. For me it is clear - system overloaded. I did oprofile, and here is
result (at low load time, but at peak time it is very similar).

CPU: AMD64 processors, speed 2193.74 MHz (estimated)
Counted CPU_CLK_UNHALTED events (Cycles outside of halt state) with a unit
mask of 0x00 (No unit mask) count 100000
CPU_CLK_UNHALT...|
samples| %|
------------------
2679376 71.9851 vmlinux
287212 7.7163 e1000
278674 7.4870 ip_tables
259923 6.9832 nf_conntrack
29699 0.7979 iptable_nat
26752 0.7187 nf_nat
26093 0.7010 nf_conntrack_ipv4
16525 0.4440 iptable_mangle
14988 0.4027 oprofiled

CPU: AMD64 processors, speed 2193.74 MHz (estimated)
Counted CPU_CLK_UNHALTED events (Cycles outside of halt state) with a unit
mask of 0x00 (No unit mask) count 100000
samples % symbol name
1031727 37.1736 getnstimeofday
230457 8.3035 __napi_schedule
122154 4.4013 __do_softirq
110036 3.9647 dev_queue_xmit
88800 3.1995 net_rx_action
71163 2.5640 ip_route_input
52232 1.8819 local_bh_enable
43804 1.5783 get_next_timer_interrupt
43387 1.5633 ip_forward
35501 1.2791 nf_iterate
35212 1.2687 __slab_alloc
34652 1.2485 default_idle
32375 1.1665 kfree
28127 1.0134 kmem_cache_alloc

What is bothering me, why getnstimeofday called so much? Even i remove HTB
shaper, it still takes 30-40% of whole vmlinux time. From other
applications - only zebra is running.
Any ideas?