Re: [ANNOUNCE] mdb: Merkey's Linux Kernel Debugger 2.6.27-rc4released

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Fri Aug 22 2008 - 02:36:38 EST

On 22 Aug, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Friday 22 August 2008 00:09, Stefan Richter wrote:
>> Nick Piggin wrote:
>> >
>> > You should disable preempt before getting the processor id. Can't see any
>> > other possible bugs, but you should be able to see from the disassembly
>> > pretty easily.
>>
>> debug_lock() is AFAICS only called from contexts which have preemption
>> disabled. Last time around I recommended to Jeff to document this
>> requirement on the calling context.
>
> I'm not talking about where debug_lock gets called, I'm talking about
> where the processor id is derived that eventually filters down to
> debug_lock.

You are right, I replied to fast. debug_unlock() retrieves the
processor itself, but not debug_lock().

>> But even though preemption is disabled, debug_lock() is still incorrect
>> as I mentioned in my other post a minute ago. It corrupts its .flags
>> and .count members. (Or maybe it coincidentally doesn't as long as
>> volatile is around.)
>
> I don't think so. And flags should only be restored by the processor
> that saved it because the spinlock should disable preemption, right?

OK; the .count seems alright due to restrictions of the calling
contexts. About .flags: Jeff, can the following happen?

- Context A on CPU A has interrupts enabled. Enters debug_lock(),
thus disables its interrupts. (Saves its flags in rlock->flags with
the plan to enable interrupts later when leaving debug_unlock()
provided it does so as last holder.)

- Context B on CPU B happens to have interrupts disabled. Enters
debug_lock(), overwrites rlock->flags with its different value.
(Spins on the rlock which is held by CPU A.)

- Context A on CPU A leaves debug_unlock. Doesn't re-enable its
interrupts as planned, since rlock->flags is the one from CPU B.
--
Stefan Richter