Re: Regression? 2.6.27-rc3 segfault on cold boot; not on warm boot.

From: David Greaves
Date: Fri Aug 22 2008 - 08:38:46 EST

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> [Adding CCs]
>
> [The issue is probably present in 2.6.26 too]
>
> On Thursday, 21 of August 2008, David Greaves wrote:
>> I have a desktop system that has started having problems booting up in the morning.
>>
>> It appears to just happen on more recent kernels.
>> I was having unrelated CDROM problems with a driver in an old kernel and decided
>> to test 2.6.27-rcX
>> The CDROM problem is fine now.
>>
>> However I started having problems on -rc1. I found that the machine was hanging
>> soon after booting and needed a reboot. After a reboot it would work fine for
>> the rest of the day.
>> When -rc3 came out I tried that and the problem still appears to be there.
>>
>> The normal process is now to boot to single-user, ctrl-alt-sysreq-SUB and then
>> reboot to multi-user. This isn't ideal.
>>

>> If I cold boot 2.6.25.3 the problem doesn't occur.
>> I will try different versions over the next few days.

As promised, I tried 2.6.26.3 this morning and didn't have the problem. I will
try again a few times to confirm.
Nb Although the log had an XFS failure, I think the real issue is the segfaults;
I think XFS is a casuality, not a cause. Th problem almost always results in an
XFS crash at some point - but usually preceded by many segfaults in random binaries.

David