Re: latest -git: WARNING: at arch/x86/kernel/ipi.c:123 send_IPI_mask_bitmask+0xc3/0xe0()

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 12:43:47 EST

Vegard Nossum wrote:

Hm.

Kernel fails to detect cpu1 at all.

I am currently unsure of whether it's your patch or not. But it's the
same config that I've been booting for ages (and I copy it over for
each new kernel version I check out).

Processor #0 (Bootup-CPU)
I/O APIC #2 Version 32 at 0xFEC00000.
Enabling APIC mode: Flat. Using 1 I/O APICs
Processors: 1
SMP: Allowing 1 CPUs, 0 hotplug CPUs
mapped APIC to ffffb000 (fee00000)
mapped IOAPIC to ffffa000 (fec00000)
Allocating PCI resources starting at 50000000 (gap: 40000000:bee00000)
PERCPU: Allocating 1221764 bytes of per cpu data
NR_CPUS: 7, nr_cpu_ids: 1, nr_node_ids 1

I really don't get it. Is this something that can be caused by your
patch _at all_ ?

Well, if smp_call_function_single() is called during the CPU up sequence, without the CPU having been added to the online mask, then yes, it could. The most likely place would be from a notifier.

That makes it ugly. Need to track down the reason.

-hpa