Re: GA-MA790FX-DS5 SATA ahci NCQ erros on Jmicron 20360/20363 (JMB363) kernel 2.6.25-2 Debian/Lenny

From: xerces8
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 13:02:47 EST

Sergey Spiridonov wrote:

> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> > So... suspect bad cables, bad port connectors, cable interference,
> > motherboard-caused interference or grounding problems, power supply
> > problems.
>
> I did exchange power supply and I did exchange hard drives. The same
> hard drive with the same cable works with SB600 and produces errors with
> JMB363. So looks like it is not cable or hard drive problem. May be the
> problem is JMB363 port connector on the motherboard. How can I check it?

Hi!

I have a JMB363 myself and it has its share of problems.
I would say it is buggy hardware. (why would they otherwise
release a new windows driver every week ? if not to workaround
bugs in HW ;-)

My WD MyBook Studio Edition 500 GB external eSATA drive does not
work on the JMB363 correctly no matter what I try. Both
under linux and windows. I think the best was 30 minutes of
(apparent) error free operation under windows.

If interested, I can supply logs, data etc.
(I have a bunch of drives to try).

Regards,
David