Re: latest -git: WARNING: at arch/x86/kernel/ipi.c:123 send_IPI_mask_bitmask+0xc3/0xe0()

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 13:22:46 EST

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 7:17 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Vegard Nossum wrote:
>>
>> Hm.
>>
>> Kernel fails to detect cpu1 at all.
>>
>> I am currently unsure of whether it's your patch or not. But it's the
>> same config that I've been booting for ages (and I copy it over for
>> each new kernel version I check out).
>>
>> Processor #0 (Bootup-CPU)
>> I/O APIC #2 Version 32 at 0xFEC00000.
>> Enabling APIC mode: Flat. Using 1 I/O APICs
>> Processors: 1
>> SMP: Allowing 1 CPUs, 0 hotplug CPUs
>> mapped APIC to ffffb000 (fee00000)
>> mapped IOAPIC to ffffa000 (fec00000)
>> Allocating PCI resources starting at 50000000 (gap: 40000000:bee00000)
>> PERCPU: Allocating 1221764 bytes of per cpu data
>> NR_CPUS: 7, nr_cpu_ids: 1, nr_node_ids 1
>>
>> I really don't get it. Is this something that can be caused by your
>> patch _at all_ ?
>>

> Could you try this patch? It should (hopefully) tell us if there is any
> such invocations and what the call trace looks like.

I'm sorry, I _just_ reverted your patch and tested the bare kernel...
but it still only detects cpu0 :-(

Apart from that, it's also incredibly slow and I get some
"end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0" messages. Start-up (init 3
on a F7) takes closer to 10 minutes. Will now take a closer look at my
config.

Oh. I _just_ noticed a completely different change -- I added acpi=off
to my boot line *blush*

Will now remove it and retry your original patch.

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it