Re: [Patch] Tracing/ftrace: Adds a marker to allow user comments

From: Frédéric Weisbecker
Date: Mon Aug 25 2008 - 09:59:55 EST

2008/8/25 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>:

> * Frédéric Weisbecker <fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The documentation of mmiotrace describes an unimplemented feature
>> which allows the user to write any comments on his trace by writing on
>> a tracing/marker file. Here is an implementation of this idea.
>>
>> It applies on last version of tip tree.
>
> hmm ... have you looked at the (recently implemented) ftrace_printk()
> facility?
>
> Ingo

Yes but I didn't want to use ftrace_printk() because it needs the "ip"
parameter. User messages doesn't need this. But I reuse a part of the
code of ftrace_printk and I splitted ftrace_printk() in two parts for
this purpose: __ftrace_printk() and trace_print().
I also reused the print_entry but with a new TRACE_MARK type to make
the difference when it is time to send the entry to the pipe because
user messages don't use ip.