Re: [Bug #11342] Linux 2.6.27-rc3: kernel BUG at mm/vmalloc.c -bisected

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Aug 26 2008 - 14:48:21 EST

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> I added "-fno-inline-functions-called-once -fno-early-inlining" to
> KBUILD_CFLAGS, and (with gcc 4.3) that increased the size of my kernel
> image by 2%.

Btw, did you check with just "-fno-inline-functions-called-once"?

The -fearly-inlining decisions _should_ be mostly right. If gcc sees early
that a function is so small (even without any constant propagation etc)
that it can be inlined, it's probably right.

The inline-functions-called-once thing is what causes even big functions
to be inlined, and that's where you find the big downsides too (eg the
stack usage).

Linus