Re: [Bug #11342] Linux 2.6.27-rc3: kernel BUG at mm/vmalloc.c -bisected

From: David Miller
Date: Wed Aug 27 2008 - 04:45:44 EST

From: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:47:14 +1000

> Yeah, I see. That's stupid isn't it? (Well, I guess it was completely
> sane when cpumasks were word sized ;))
>
> Hopefully that accounts for a significant chunk...

There is a lot of indirect costs that are hard to see as well.

Two things a lot of these cross-call dispatch paths do is:

1) Clear self-cpu

2) AND with cpus_online

#1 can normally be a simple bit clear, but some places can also
implement this with something like "cpus_andn(X, cpumask_of_cpu(cpu))"

It's simply easier to move those two things down to the bottom of
the APIC programming code, they just loop over the cpumask doing
an expensive APIC I/O operation anyways, might as well overlap it
with these "skip self-cpu" and "skip not-online cpus" checks.

And oh yeah we get the stack wastage fixed too, isn't what what we
were talking about? :-)