Re: loaded router, excessive getnstimeofday in oprofile

From: Stephen Hemminger
Date: Wed Aug 27 2008 - 12:17:24 EST

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:54:12 +0200
Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > Yup, this innocent toys can end up with this such behaviour on modern
> > highly loaded machines.
>
> I and also other people had some patches to move the time stamp
> measuring into the socket. This way the time stamping didn't need to
> be enabled on all packets, only on those that actually end up at a
> socket that requires the time stamp.
>
> Unfortunately DaveM didn't like it because some bank wanted
> different semantics, see the discussion in
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/91679
>
> Perhaps you can find out which bank it was and send them a bill for
> your CPU time ;-)
>
> -Andi

Look at /proc/net/ptype to see if any AF_PACKET sockets are open.
There are several causes of this:
* Applications like DHCP use AF_PACKET when they could use something else
* AF_PACKET API was poorly designed and always has timestamps
* The choice was made to get more accurate timestamps by stamping early in
receive code. A better alternative would be to do it in protocol handler
after the socket filter. Sorry, Andi socket layer is too late.
* No driver is using hardware mechanisms to get accurate/free timestamps.
I was working on sky2, but never was stable/complete.

Easist advice now is to fix userspace.