Re: [ANNOUNCE] ACPI BIOS Guideline for Linux

From: Thomas Renninger
Date: Thu Aug 28 2008 - 05:41:44 EST

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 22:29:15 Carlos Corbacho wrote:
> On Thursday 24 July 2008 16:32:22 Thomas Renninger wrote:
> > \section{WMI - Windows Management Instrumentation}
> >
> > WMI is a Microsoft specific service. A small part of it
> > describes possible ACPI WMI implementations provided by the BIOS.
> > This is not part of the official ACPI specification and BIOS developers
> > should avoid using it. The Linux kernel driver supports basic WMI ACPI
> > functionality (since 2.6.25), but it is marked experimental.
> > ACPI functionality should not depend on the WMI interface.
>
> Perhaps it would be more useful to suggest to vendors/ BIOS writers what
> they should use here instead?

They can use their own devices.
There is a section about if you provide your own device, document it, etc.:

2 Vendor specific ACPI implementations
2. If new devices or functions are introduced, document how to use them. A
short specification or a request for comments (RFC) can form the basis of
a new standard which follows your needs.

But yes, it could be pointed out clearer.
I'll look closer at it when I touch it the next time.
Text snippets/suggestions are also appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas