Re: [ANNOUNCE] OSS Proxy using CUSE

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Aug 28 2008 - 18:21:21 EST

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:01:20PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 09:05:53PM +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> > Hello again,
> >
> > So, after all the fuss, here's the state-of-the-art standard-compliant
> > cloud-computing web-3.0-beta web page for OSS emulation using CUSE.
> >
> > http://userweb.kernel.org/~tj/ossp/
> >
> > It works pretty well here. :-)
>
> Sorry for being destructive, but 6 years after ALSA went into the
> kernel we are slightly approaching the point where all applications
> support ALSA.
>
> The application you list on your webpage is UML host sound support,
> and I'm wondering why you don't fix that instead of working on a
> better OSS emulation?

Independant of that, I can see a number of uses for the CUSE code. One
would be emulating /dev/pilot for old palm pilot software that things it
wants to talk to a serial port, yet really a libusb userspace program
can handle all of the data to the USB device instead.

So don't think that just because this userspace-OSS implementation is
"not what should be done" that CUSE shouldn't be viable.

thanks,

greg k-h