Re: Linux 2.6.27-rc5: System boot regression caused by commita2bd7274b47124d2fc4dfdb8c0591f545ba749dd

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Aug 30 2008 - 15:34:08 EST

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Yinghai Lu wrote:

> do you agree to use quirk to make the BAR res to have correct end
> between pci_probe and pci_resource_survey?

In general I would agree, but now that I've looked at it a bit more, I
actually don't think it's a bug in the chipset any more. See my previous
email that crossed with yours.

I suspect that that northbridge resource is basically acting as a bridge
resource. So 0xe0000000 - 0xffffffff is actually _correct_. And MCFG being
in that window (and being first in it) is just a detail.

Look at the resource allocations on Rafael's machine: there are two
different classes:

- outside that BAR3 window:

The "external gfx0 port A" decode (bridged by device 0000:02.0):

d8000000-dfffffff : PCI Bus 0000:01
d8000000-dfffffff : 0000:01:00.0
d8000000-d8ffffff : vesafb

and suspect the graphics port is special (considering that this is an
ATI chipset)

- inside that BAR3 window: everything else (PCI express):

e0000000-efffffff : PCI MMCONFIG 0
fe6f4000-fe6f7fff : 0000:00:14.2
fe6f4000-fe6f7fff : ICH HD audio
fe6fa000-fe6fafff : 0000:00:13.4
fe6fa000-fe6fafff : ohci_hcd
fe6fb000-fe6fbfff : 0000:00:13.3
fe6fb000-fe6fbfff : ohci_hcd
fe6fc000-fe6fcfff : 0000:00:13.2
fe6fc000-fe6fcfff : ohci_hcd
fe6fd000-fe6fdfff : 0000:00:13.1
fe6fd000-fe6fdfff : ohci_hcd
fe6fe000-fe6fefff : 0000:00:13.0
fe6fe000-fe6fefff : ohci_hcd
fe6ff000-fe6ff0ff : 0000:00:13.5
fe6ff000-fe6ff0ff : ehci_hcd
fe6ff800-fe6ffbff : 0000:00:12.0
fe6ff800-fe6ffbff : ahci
fe700000-fe7fffff : PCI Bus 0000:01
fe7c0000-fe7dffff : 0000:01:00.0
fe7e0000-fe7effff : 0000:01:00.1
fe7f0000-fe7fffff : 0000:01:00.0
fe800000-fe8fffff : PCI Bus 0000:02
fe8ffc00-fe8fffff : 0000:02:00.0
fe8ffc00-fe8fffff : ahci
fe900000-fe9fffff : PCI Bus 0000:03
fe9c0000-fe9dffff : 0000:03:00.0
fe9fc000-fe9fffff : 0000:03:00.0
fe9fc000-fe9fffff : sky2
fea00000-feafffff : PCI Bus 0000:04
feaffc00-feafffff : 0000:04:00.0
feaffc00-feafffff : ahci
feb00000-febfffff : PCI Bus 0000:05
febff000-febfffff : 0000:05:08.0
febff000-febff7ff : ohci1394
fec00000-fec00fff : IOAPIC 0
fed00000-fed003ff : HPET 2
fee00000-fee00fff : Local APIC
fff00000-ffffffff : reserved

Hmm?

(yeah, some of those resources are _really_ special, and are inside the
CPU itself, eg the APIC and possibly HPET, and never necessarily even make
it to the host bridge at all because they get decoded early).

Linus