Re: [smartmontools-support] exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0action 0x2 frozen

From: Jonas Petersson
Date: Sun Aug 31 2008 - 06:09:08 EST

Hi again Justin,

Justin Piszcz skrev:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Jonas Petersson wrote:
Justin Piszcz skrev:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Jonas Petersson wrote:
[...]
smartctl -a would be useful (#1)
# smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

I have the same controller in my host as well, but it does not appear to
matter whether it happens on the ICH8 controller or other controllers.

I have noticed on Velociraptors I seem to get the same/similar error that
you do as well, and I ran all the same tests as you, to no avail as to getting
any closer to finding the root cause/problem.
(.. more so than the regular old raptor150s)

Besides the annoying messages in the kernel log/syslog/dmesg, does it
affect your system stability in any way as of yet?

Very much so, yes.

At best, all disk access will hang for a while and then resume after the reset has worked out - this often happens a couple of times per day now.

At worst, the reset will not work and the disk is remounted read-only and I can sort of use the system a bit this way. It seems somewhat random how much still works: Up until today I could at least always use dmesg and tail various logs to try to hunt down what happened, but this morning dmesg could not be found and I got I/O errors when accessing anything in /var/log. Rebooting helped as usual.

This fatal variant has happened about every second day lately.

The first two weeks I had the system showed nothing at all like this: I have log files since July 26 and the first recorded (reset-able) glitch is from Aug 16. Obviously, any non-resetable problem would have been easy to spot.

I must add a very important note here though, you are using an ICH8 chipset
and so am I, we both have same/similar problems-- however, I also have
another machine setup VERY similarly (except different HDDs) for the RAID5
but the RAID1 is the same as one of my ICH8 boxes (dual raptor150s)--
and to date it has never? or rarely thrown the frozen error except when a disk actually failed (or when NCQ is enabled for a WD drive), (NCQ+Linux for WD) is
broken.

Yes, I would not point fingers to the ICH8 chipset either: The other MacBookPro I have experimented with now is a 2,2 (ATI based) and has ICH7, but I'm 99.9% sure my previous MacBookPro 3,1 (nvidia based) was ICH8 and it worked flawlessly (I saw no reason to swap for the 4,1 version, but it was stolen from me in June). As far as I know the significant differences with my current MBP are just: higher screen resolution, multitouch ("iphone") touchpad and more memory. Alas, I didn't keep a lshw dump.

[...]
CC'ing linux-ide and linux-kernel with your original error from the start
of this e-mail thread:

Here is a snippet from this morning - this time it came back to life:

[46874.898690] ata3.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2
frozen
[46874.898703] ata3.00: cmd c8/00:08:90:3c:59/00:00:00:00:00/ef tag 0
dma 4096 in
[46874.898705] res 40/00:01:01:4f:c2/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask
0x4 (timeout)
[46874.898709] ata3.00: status: { DRDY }
[46879.643962] ata3: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status
0xd0)
[46884.473195] ata3: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
[46884.473202] ata3: soft resetting link
[46912.740010] ata3.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
[46912.740020] ata3.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
[46912.740023] ata3.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
[46912.740028] ata3: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
[46917.458070] ata3: soft resetting link
[46917.636464] ata3.00: configured for UDMA/100
[46917.636482] ata3: EH complete
[46917.699224] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] 488397168 512-byte hardware sectors
(250059 MB)
[46917.699257] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[46917.699263] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[46917.699300] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache:
enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

I'll just clarify that the errno after "revalidation failed" is not always -5. When it ends up fatal I've also seen -3 and possibly something else too. I would have taken a screen shot this morning if only dmesg had worked. :-(

What is the root cause of this? It still seems to be a mystery to most as far
as I can tell, but the one thing in common is we are both using ICH8 chipsets,
which, just may happen to be part of the problem?

For the record: My current theory is that it is some kind of hardware problem - either in the disk or on the motherboard so I have persuaded my local AppleStore to swap the harddisk on Monday and then they will run their full hardware stress test (4+ hours according to him). The stress test was apparently suggested from the central repair people (who have no idea I run Linux on it - the local techie knows, but has no problem with it as long as I keep a small OSX partition) so I guess this sort of hints that they are aware of hardware issues.

(Note: I've had the same techie replace a broken motherboard in the past when the Linux messages where at least as clear as the OSX ones - in that case drives would in the end only show up in the boot menue when the system had cooled down for at least 20 minutes. To be on the safe side, I've upped the minimum fan speed by 50% to ensure all sensors give me happy readings all the time - luckily the 4,1 fans are very silent compared to the 2,2)

I hope to have everything back in shape on Wednesday and I'll let you know how it fares.

BTW: For a while I displayed the hddtemp sensor all the time along with coretemp etc, but I now understand that this is also SMART based so I've turned it off in the past weeks experimentation. Again, it seemed to work flawlessly for months on my previous (stolen) MBP 3,1.

Best / Jonas