Re: [RFC] bridge: STP timer management range checking

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sun Aug 31 2008 - 22:25:56 EST

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:43:09 PDT, Stephen Hemminger said:

> Warning: this may cause user backlash since apparently working but standards
> conforming configurations will get configuration errors that they didn't
> see before.

Did you mean "apparently working but *non*-standards conforming"?

Other than that, seems to be a sane application of "Be conservative in what you
send". Our network is some 30K cat-5 ports, 1100 switches, 1300 wireless
access points, and we appreciate it every time somebody makes things more
bulletproof. And yes, we prefer things to out-and-out *fail* rather than
run in a wonky configuration - hard failures usually get fixed in a few
minutes, wonkiness can drag on for months of mystifying symptoms...