Re: [RFC: 2.6 patch] remove the broken i82443bxgx_edac driver

From: Greg KH
Date: Sun Aug 31 2008 - 22:56:56 EST

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 12:02:06AM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 11:07:31AM -0700, Jason Uhlenkott wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 19:10:11 +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > The i82443bxgx_edac driver was added more than one year ago, but after
> > > only 3 seconds in Linus' tree it got a dependency on BROKEN with Andrew
> > > stating:
> > >
> > > It will claim the PCI devices from under intel_agp.ko's feet.
> > > Greg is brewing some fix for that.
> > >
> > > Since noone seems to care enough about this driver to get it working we
> > > can as well remove it.
> >
> > This driver does work as long as it's not used concurrently with
> > intel-agp, and I know of at least one user of it (who has been locally
> > diking out the dependency on BROKEN).
>
> With the dependency on BROKEN it might stay at having one user...
>
> Is anyone going to fix it proerly?

Yes, I have patches in my private tree to get multiple drivers to
devices working. Unfortunatly they also currently cause the machine to
crash in wierd ways, so they aren't quite there yet :)

I'll be working on them with other kernel developers in a week at a SuSE
Labs conference so we should be able to pound something out pretty soon.

thanks,

greg k-h