IRQ routing / assignment issue

From: Radu Rendec
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 09:22:45 EST

Hi,

I'm trying to make the kernel assign different irqs for two NICs
connected to _separate_ pci buses. Messing around with pirq= kenrel
parameter didn't seem to change anything.

The machine is a smp (dual-xeon). Relevant lspci output is:
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 11)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 11)

IRQ assignment dmesg output is:
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16

At the moment I'm almost clueless about how irq routing / assignment
works (either in general or in linux), so any suggestion would help -
even "rtfm" would be helpful, as long as you specify what is the
appropriate manual ;)

If you are so kind to reply, please include my address in cc (I'm not
subscribed).

Thanks,

Radu Rendec