Re: (more) epoll troubles

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 13:33:05 EST

Robert Hancock wrote:
Michael Noisternig wrote:
Hello,

and sorry again if this is the wrong place to ask (again, please hint to me to an appropriate place to ask in that case).

After experimenting with epoll edge-triggered mode I am clueless why on a few occassions I seem to not get any input notification despite data is available.

In detail: I have set up sockets with epoll events EPOLLET|EPOLLRDHUP|EPOLLIN. When I get EPOLLIN for a socket, I read() as long as I get what I asked for, i.e. whenever read() returns either EAGAIN or less data than I asked for I take this as indication that I must wait for another EPOLLIN notification. However, this does not seem to work always.

Here is some log from my program:

0x9e6b8a8: read not avail (1460/2048 read)
i.e. tried to read 2048 bytes, got 1460 -> assume must wait for EPOLLIN for more data to read
(note that the fd is always in the epoll set with EPOLLET|EPOLLRDHUP|EPOLLIN)

It would likely be better to always continue trying to read until EAGAIN is returned, even if the read returned less than the requested amount, as implied here:

http://linux.die.net/man/7/epoll

"The function do_use_fd() uses the new ready file descriptor until EAGAIN is returned by either read(2) or write(2). An event driven state machine application should, after having received EAGAIN, record its current state so that at the next call to do_use_fd() it will continue to read(2) or write(2) from where it stopped before. "

Though, this is somewhat contradicted by the FAQ section:

"the condition that the read/write I/O space is exhausted can be detected by checking the amount of data read/write from/to the target file descriptor. For example, if you call read(2) by asking to read a certain amount of data and read(2) returns a lower number of bytes, you can be sure to have exhausted the read I/O space for such file descriptor."