Re: [v4l-dvb-maintainer] [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mcisely/pvrusb2

From: Mike Isely
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 20:04:22 EST

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Stefan Richter wrote:

> Michael Krufky wrote:
> > Mike Isely wrote:

> [...]
> >> Forcing this style:
> >>
> >> if (a)
> >> b;
> >>
> >> As opposed to the much safer
> >>
> >> if (a) {
> >> b;
> >> }
> >>
> >> is a huge mistake. Both generate the same code; the second form is
> >> robust against someone later inserting a printk
> [...]
>
> If you need this kind of safety measures against errors in future code
> changes, could it be that you have some general QA problems?

One of the points behind a good coding style is that it should encourage
code that is robust against trivial mistakes. Prefering

if (a) {
b;
}

over

if (a)
b;

I consider to be an example of this kind of simple safety. (And I have
in the past seen people getting burned from the obvious error of
sticking a debug printf in between.) ACTUALLY, I'd much, much rather
prefer

if (a) b;

however checkpatch.pl gets angry about that as well (even though the
kernel CodingStyle document would seem to actually allow this - it's
still one statement and since "b" is outside the normal flow then it's
"something to hide" and should be ok in any case).

> (However, why waste time arguing over braces or not?)

Tell that to those who would use checkpatch.pl to gate incoming
changesets.

> > I understand that kernel codingstyle forbids single line bracketing,
>
> CodingStyle currently says that braces are not to be used there, *but*
> it does not give any explanation for it (other than hinting that the
> braces are unnecessary).
>
> It is important to remember that many rules in CodingStyle are _not_
> hard rules but just widely (though not universally) accepted
> conventions. And more importantly, checkpatch is even less
> authoritative than CodingStyle. It only gives hints and
> recommendations, even if it reports an "error".

The v4l-maintainer has repeatedly told me otherwise. His policy is
basically that it must be checkpatch-clean or it isn't accepted (or at
least an argument ensues). He's probably not the only one in the
community doing this. Maybe he's getting pushed from above. I wouldn't
know. What I do know is what it does to any subjective reason here.

I agree with your point, and I have raised this exact point when
checkpatch.pl first got inflicted on me. The issues I had in fact were
places where CodingStyle (AFAICT) says it's ok while checkpatch.pl
complains. You know what answer I got? (It wasn't from the v4l-dvb
maintainer, by the way.) It was effectively this: "CodingStyle is not
relevant. checkpatch.pl is the final authority. This is what everyone
does now. Go away and come back when you have a real point to make."

I happen to have no real problem with CodingStyle. I think it is well
thought out and has evolved well over time. But checkpatch.pl behaves
like a baseball bat, compared to the fine scalpel that is CodingStyle.
The checkpatch script has no concept of subjective judgement as you
point out here. I have a very big problem with using an imperfect tool
such as that in a "perfect" no exceptions role as gatekeeper for code
submissions. From where I'm sitting - behind such a gate - checkpatch
has effectively subverted CodingStyle.

> If a driver author/maintainer has been using
> if (a) {
> b;
> }
> consistently in his driver all the time, why not leave it this way? It
> arguably does not hurt readability.

Amen.

> > but
> > codingstyle does not forbid adding comments anywhere in the c source.
>
> Reread the section on commenting. One very important rule in the Linux
> kernel coding style is that we comment sparingly. We comment with the
> goal to keep code readable.
>
> This /* I'll trick checkpatch */ comment is only distracting the reader.
> It serves no purpose whatsoever, except to manipulate the output of some
> random code submission checking tool.

I agree. I really disliked adding those, and I would rather they not be
present. But I have been reminded time and time again that the code had
to pass checkpatch.pl before it would be pulled. That led to silliness
such as this. I will gladly remove such junk if the maintainer would
apply a little more subjective reason to his use of checkpatch.pl.

[...]

> > Not only is this another example of checkpatch.pl thwarting development
> [...]
>
> With this I agree.

<RANT>

<mercifully deleted>