Re: USBIP protocol

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Sep 03 2008 - 12:00:04 EST

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 10:25:43PM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 07:54:07AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Fair enough, patches welcome :)
>
> Here's a document for discussion. No code yet, though I'm quite willing
> to modify the current usbip code to follow this new protocol. Just a
> matter of time.
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/willy/usbip/usbip-protocol-draft-1

You should post this in the message itself, I think it is shorter than
your other comments :)

> To save some time for reviewers, here's a list of decisions I took while
> working on the document. I appreciate that some of the decisions I made
> were not necessarily those another designer might have made, so I ask
> that any comments along the lines of "I would have done it differently"
> include a really good reason.

I agree with Alan's very good comments, and have one more:

> I have no experience with isosynchronous transactions, nor interrupt
> transactions, so I decline to define them at this moment.

Both of those are necessary, so you are going to have to define them
(mice/keyboards use interrupt and audio uses iso, so it is very common,
and easy to test for.)

> I've given up on the big/little endian thing. Network protocols are
> traditionally BE, USB is LE and it can encapsulate SCSI which is BE again.

What do you mean, you are just going to stick with BE?

thanks,

greg k-h