Re: 2.6.27-rc5 doesn't boot on a Pavilion laptop

From: Dmitry Nezhevenko
Date: Wed Sep 03 2008 - 13:54:40 EST

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 07:05:39PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Yeah, noticed already. Sorry.
>
> Find a debug patch below, which looks at the two functions which might
> loop forver under certain conditions. Does one of the checks hit ?

This one happens for me

> + if (!once) {
> + printk(KERN_WARNING
> + "tick_broadcast_set_event is "
> + "stuck %llx %llx\n",
> + now.tv64, expires.tv64);
> + WARN_ON(1);
> + }

Actually kernel continued to boot, however it panics just before (or maybe
after) mounting rootfs... I've booted it with boot_delay to take photos.

Here is panic stacktrace:

warn_on_slowpath
stop_this_cpu
printk
show_trace
stop_this_cpu
print_oops_end_marker
clocksource_get_next
getnstimeofday
send_IPI_mask_bitmask
tick_do_broadcast
tick_handle_oneshot_broadcast
timer_interrupt
handle_IRQ_event
handle_edge_irq
do_IRQ

Here are screenshots:
http://inhex.net/dion/lkml/tick_boradcast_stuck.jpg -- stacktrace from
your patch
http://inhex.net/dion/lkml/panic_on_rootfs_mount.jpg -- final kernel panic

I'm using linux-2.6-x86.git as suggested by Glauber

--
WBR, Dmitry