Re: linux-next: Tree for September 3

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 07:05:31 EST

* Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > >
> > > Cute, NULL pointer in the timer check code. Can you please addr2line
> > > the exact code line or upload the vmlinux somewhere ?
> > >

> > erm, I might have lost that binary, and it only happened the once. It
> > happened shortly after the machine had fully booted, during
> > establishment of the first sshd session.
> >
> > It nuked the machine really well, too. I had to pull the battery to
> > get it back.
>
> Known problem on Sonys. :(
>
> > fwiw:
> >
> > (gdb) l *0xc0126e7f
> > 0xc0126e7f is in get_next_timer_interrupt (kernel/timer.c:863).
> > warning: Source file is more recent than executable.
> > 858 for (array = 0; array < 4; array++) {
> > 859 struct tvec *varp = varray[array];
> > 860
> > 861 index = slot = timer_jiffies & TVN_MASK;
> > 862 do {
> > 863 list_for_each_entry(nte, varp->vec + slot, entry) {
> > 864 found = 1;
> > 865 if (time_before(nte->expires, expires))
> > 866 expires = nte->expires;
> > 867 }
> >
> > which looks reasonable.
>
> Yeah, as Linus decoded it's that loop. So we look at some corrupted
> entry here.
>
> CONFIG_DEBUG_OBJECTS (add debug_objects to the command line as well)
> should catch it when this is a timer being discarded, freed or
> reinitialized.
>
> Otherwise, when it is just random corruption it wont help much.

i guess CONFIG_DEBUG_OBJECTS_TIMERS=y is practical, and
CONFIG_DEBUG_LIST=y would be nice as well - it can catch memory
corruptions rather early and is relatively light-weight.

[ and if there's any reproducability of the corruption and if it happens
at a stable kernel address then a small custom hack in ftrace can
catch it the moment it happens. ]

Ingo