Re: 2.6.26.3 mount process looping on ext3 rw remount

From: Marc Haber
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 07:39:20 EST

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 06:35:28PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Please try to get a kernel profile while it's happening. oprofile
> maybe, or just the plain old timer-based profiler. There's some info
> in Documentation/basic_profiling.txt.

I'll boot my next kernel with profile=2.

> Actually, a simple alternative is to hit sysrq-P five or ten times.
> Most of the resulting stack traces will point back at where the CPU is
> stuck.

Where are they written to? "P" in a sysrqd telnet session does not
result in anything being written to the kernel log or to dmesg.

> This gets a bit hit-or-miss if you have multiple CPUs, because the
> sysrq-p trace can land on the wrong CPU. We recently added a sysrq-l
> which will generate a trace on all CPUS.

"l" results in the SysRq HELP being written to the kernel log, so I
guess that "recently" means "not yet in 2.6.26.3".

Greetings
Marc