Re: [patch 3/3] x86: io-apic - code style cleaning for setup_IO_APIC_irqs

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Sat Sep 06 2008 - 16:03:40 EST

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > Honestly, this one should probably use sprintf() or suchlike to avoid the
> > mess of printk() calls building a line of output from pieces. It's quite
> > easy to calculate here what the maximum size of the buffer required could
> > be and automatic arrays can have variable size, so no need for the hassle
> > of heap management. Calls to printk() without a trailing newline should
> > be avoided where possible as it messes up logging priority if a message
> > pops up from an interrupt inbetween.
>
> hm, is it worth the trouble? This is during very early init.

But is it really a trouble? With an auto array the additional code is
minuscule -- mostly printk() calls replaced with sprintf() plus a variable
or two to maintain a pointer to the buffer which will go into registers
anyway. Plus a pr_info("%s", buffer) or suchlike at the end. I know
laziness is a virtue, but you have to draw a line somewhere. ;)

The benefit, apart from what I wrote above, is less chance of propagating
bad style to newcomers with each piece of such old code removed.

Maciej