Re: [BUG] x86 kenel won't boot under Virtual PC

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 01:17:22 EST

David Sanders wrote:
I checked the distribution I'm using (debian) and the kernel shipped with it does not have CONFIG_X86_GENERIC set. This means _when_ they ship a 2.6.27 kernel it won't work with Virtual PC so I won't be able to even install it.

Then please file a bug report with Debian.

However, with Linus's patch I am guaranteed to work for all kernels built for X86_32 and even for X86_64 because in that case the virtual environment will support the multibyte NOPs. I need Linus's fix in order to support the Linux-using virtual pc community. I don't have the resources to lobby each individual distribution about their kernel config. I want it to just work.

Under that logic we shouldn't even have CPU configurables, since you want it to "just work" whatever crap you're running on. That is EXACTLY what CONFIG_X86_GENERIC means, and the fact that any particular distribution is broken with respect to not enabling it is a bug in that distribution, and not grounds for breaking the upstream kernel.

-hpa