Re: [git pull] x86 fixes

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 14:13:07 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
Well, for one thing, gcc doesn't actually pass the -mtune= option to gas, it turns out.

What caused gas to emit the "wrong" NOPs?

It doesn't, after all, with the current gcc driver. A future gcc driver may change that. Of course, now when this has popped up on the radar screen, it might not happen.

But yes, "-Wa,-march=generic32" is really the proper fix.

If I understand the binutils changelog correctly -march=generic32 support was added one week before the NOP code in question, so all affected binutils versions support it.

s/-march/-mtune/, but yes. I suspect it was actually added *in order* to support the NOP code.

-hpa