Re: [RFC/PATCH] i386: handle all exceptions with interrupts off initially

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 23:31:34 EST

heukelum@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
From: Alexander van Heukelum <heukelum@xxxxxxxxxxx>

x86_64 handles all exceptions with interrupts off initially, this
bisectable patch set does the same for i386, in (very) small steps.
If this is acceptable, it would make further unification of traps_32.c
and traps_64.c a lot easier. If it is not... why?

The only reason not to is that one generally doesn't want to disable interrupts unless necessary (bad for latency.) On 64 bits there are stack switches which make disabling interrupts mandatory. The only pitfall is if there is any code which is likely to take time, but I highly doubt it.

In other words, it's not something we want to do "just because", but to the extent that it provides real benefit, it makes sense.

-hpa