Re: [patch] x86: some lock annotations for user copy paths

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 07:50:59 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> but i think it should be a single primitive sprinkled around,
> might_fault(), which would be something like:
>
> > > + might_sleep();
> > > + if (current->mm)
> > > + might_lock_read(&current->mm->mmap_sem);
>
> that way it's a lot less visually intrusive as well.

in any case i've applied the current patches to tip/core/locking:

c10d38d: x86: some lock annotations for user copy paths
76b189e: lockdep: add might_lock() / might_lock_read()

to see the fallout. The cleanup can be done after that.

( Nick, i've added your Acked-by to 76b189e - let me know if you dont
want that. )

Ingo