Re: Laptop shock detection and harddisk protection

From: Renato S. Yamane
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 15:44:50 EST

Tejun Heo escreveu:
> I browsed a little bit for HDAPS one and it seems all the pieces are
> there but scattered. The latest effort seems tp_smapi which Shem
> Multinymous is working on.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 running tp_smapi and hdapsd over 2.6.26.2
Kernel with Elias patch:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.hdaps.devel/1324/raw>

If you need some info, pls let me know.

> 1. How should the shock interface look like? As we're gonna need
> userland daemon one way or the other, we can use the userland
> daemon to glue all the interfaces but it would be much better to
> have a unified interface. Although there seem to be several
> different variants, they don't differ all that much and creating a
> new interface every time is painful. I think we can get by with a
> sysfs interface with notification.

IMHO, userland daemon need only inform users when hdd heads was parking.
This is what KHDAPSMonitor do (<http://roy.marples.name/node/269>).
A daemon like this is used in Windows, but one more feature is present:
Is possible choose "Manual Unlock" (hdd heads is kept parked until I
click over daemon to unlock).

Best regards,
Renato S. Yamane