Re: [RFC/PATCH] dontdiff: generate from gitignore

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 13:42:47 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>> Generate the "dontdiff" file from the .gitignore files.
>
> t's not quite as simple as that, though.
>
> The .gitignore files are fundamentally location hierarchy-aware, so a
> ignore entry in one subdirectory only affects that subdirectory
> (recursively), so if you flatten then, you should take that into account.
>
> As far as I can tell, your script will generate lots of incorrect entries
> due to this. Eg, it will generate
>
> parse.[ch]
>
> as a dontdiff pattern, because scripts/genksyms/.gitignore has that, but
> that means that now it will ignore parse.c in all the _other_ places,
> where it *isn't* a generated file (ie mm/parse.c).

Yes, that's one of the reasons that it contains "RFC" in $subject.
There's also no handling of !pattern .gitignore lines....

AFAIK, diff with a dontdiff file does not allow/support full pathname
hierarchies like .gitignore does, so this is probably a futile exercise. ??

--
~Randy
Linux Plumbers Conference, 17-19 September 2008, Portland, Oregon USA