Re: [linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update

From: Steven Toth
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 10:27:21 EST

Markus Rechberger wrote:
On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Markus Rechberger wrote:
On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Markus Rechberger wrote:

How many devices are currently supported by the multiproto API
compared with the s2 tree?
The initial set of DVB-S2 multistandard devices supported by the
multiproto tree is follows. This is just the stb0899 based dvb-s2 driver
alone. There are more additions by 2 more modules (not devices), but for
the simple comparison here is the quick list of them, for which some of
the manufacturers have shown support in some way. (There has been quite
some contributions from the community as well.):

(Also to be noted is that, some BSD chaps also have shown interest in
the same)

they're heavy into moving the whole framework over as far as I've seen
yes, also including yet unmerged drivers.

Using the same interface, the same applications will work there as well
which is a bonus, but isn't the existing user interface GPL ? (A bit
confused on that aspect)

I think it's good to have something that competes with Linux, I talked to some
guys at that front too, and they seem to work close with application
developers too
As for the em28xx driver I agreed with pushing all my code (in case of
linux, which
includes unmerged independent drivercode from manufacturers) into their system
using their license.

Something that competes with Linux, absolutely, I could not agree more - especially if the licenses are compatible and cross O/S pollination of ideas/code can occur. Everyone benefits from this.

Hauppauge had a guy from the BSD community contact us and ask for datasheets for certain parts. Part of the problem, as I understand it, is that the BSD folks can't port the GPL license into BSD because it's not compatible.

I owe it to myself to spend somehime reading the BSD licencing. Maybe the GPL is compatible with BSD.

Just my 2 cents.

- Steve