Re: [linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update

From: Steven Toth
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 13:03:16 EST

Markus Rechberger wrote:
On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Markus Rechberger wrote:
On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Markus Rechberger wrote:

How many devices are currently supported by the multiproto API
compared with the s2 tree?
The initial set of DVB-S2 multistandard devices supported by the
multiproto tree is follows. This is just the stb0899 based dvb-s2 driver
alone. There are more additions by 2 more modules (not devices), but for
the simple comparison here is the quick list of them, for which some of
the manufacturers have shown support in some way. (There has been quite
some contributions from the community as well.):

(Also to be noted is that, some BSD chaps also have shown interest in
the same)

they're heavy into moving the whole framework over as far as I've seen
yes, also including yet unmerged drivers.

Using the same interface, the same applications will work there as well
which is a bonus, but isn't the existing user interface GPL ? (A bit
confused on that aspect)

* STB0899 based

Anubis
Typhoon DVB-S2 PCI

Azurewave/Twinhan
VP-1041
VP-7050

Digital Now
AD SP400
AD SB300

KNC1
TV Station DVB-S2
TV Station DVB-S2 Plus

Pinnacle
PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB 452e

Satelco
TV Station DVB-S2
Easywatch HDTV USB CI
Easywatch HDTV PCI

Technisat
Skystar HD
Skystar HD2
Skystar USB2 HDCI

Technotrend
TT S2 3200
TT S2 3600
TT S2 3650

Terratec
Cinergy S2 PCI HD
Cinergy S2 PCI HDCI

those are pullable now against the current tree?

These devices, depend upon the DVB API update without which it wouldn't
work as they depend heavily on the DVB API framework. Without the
updated framework, it doesn't make any sense to pull them: they won't
even compile. The last but not least reason is that, the stb0899 driver
is a DVB-S2 multistandard device which requires DVB-S2/DSS support
additionally.

so the framework is available, and the drivers could be pushed in
right afterwards, I wonder
who is willing to port those drivers to the other API (including testing).

Me. I'll port the 3200 cards and their derivatives, including the 6100 and the 0899. I've already said I'd do that.... but it's manu's code and he retains all rights. He gets to decide first.

It's not going to happen any time soon I guess, if there's not an
agreement with Manu's
work. Dumping this code would show another step of ignorance and
selfishness against the
people who worked on it.

The demod/tuners drivers would be merged with S2API within a few days. I have a TT-3200 here. I'd have to re-write various things, and change the demod API a little. but I'm prepared to do that.

Judging by the positive response we're having to the S2API tree, I suspect a number of people will be willing to offer patches, test time and support.

- Steve