Re: Partition check considered as error is breaking mounting in 2.6.27

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 13:01:30 EST

Bodo Eggert wrote:

Ordinary users need a correctly-working, non-logspewing ("Access beyond
end of disk") system, including the possibility to correctly create
filesystems or to use md on the disks. Having an IO-error-area at the end
of the partition won't exactly help, but maybe destroy the HAL-automounted-using-the-wrong-options* filesystem.

It's not clear that "ordinary users" ever have this problem. It seems to happen *only* when using a drive which has something which looks like a partition table but isn't, or is a defective partition table, or will only work when diddling with HPA magic.

And should some naive user be trying to use such a drive, it seems better to tell them, to beat them over the head with the problem, because if you hide the problem those users are least likely to be able to recover when problems arise.

I'm not against some sensible recovery, I just don't agree that "pretend it isn't wrong" is a good default solution.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>