Re: XFS shutting down due to IO timeout on SATA disk (pata_via forCX700)

From: Mark Lord
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 23:49:29 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
..
Hmm.. most of FLUSH timeouts I've seen are either a dying drive or bad
PSU. There just isn't much which can go wrong from the driver side.
IIRC, there was a problem when the unused part of TF is not cleared
but that was the only one.

Smartctl output is clean (no logged errors), and the drives themselves
are fine after a reboot -- necessary since libata/scsi kicked the drive out
of the RAID array.

Something strange is going on here.

Any chance you can trick the client to hook up the drive to a separate PSU?
..

No, the failures happen randomly at customer sites, and only since they
"upgraded" to SLES10 with libata. I think the PSUs are probably just fine.

Time to hack the drivers to give proper status on the timeouts, too;
otherwise we won't ever have any clue as to what is really happening.

Cheers