Re: motherboard recommendations?

From: Jacek Poplawski
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 10:39:58 EST

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:31 PM, John Stoffel <john@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Which ASUS board, the K8V? If so, just look for a board with
> components that are known to work well with Linux. Honestly, these
> days Linux supports alot more stuff right out of the box.

I was thinking the same few years ago, but on two Asus boards two had problems.
K8V-X SE is the board I have now, it's very bad choice for Linux, it
crashes very often when starting X (with DRI) - it's related to buggy
BIOS and AGP.
On another board SATA was supported after few months and there was
constant problem with network (there was long discussion about it on
LKML) - networking was working after boot but stops working after a
while. It was never fixed, so I don't use this board anymore.

--
Free Software - find interesting programs and change them
NetHack - meet interesting creatures, kill them and eat their bodies