Re: New IOCTLs

From: Chris Snook
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 16:14:47 EST

Singaravelan Nallasellan wrote:
I need to send device control messages to the driver. I am planning to
use the IOCTLs. But I came to know that Linux community does not
accept any new IOCTLs anymore.
Can somebody provide the reason behind the decision? Are there any
better approach to implement the device control interface other than
sysfs interface. I have some issues in using the sysfs interface.
Thanks in advance.

IOCTLs are discouraged, but not strictly forbidden. Is there something about sysfs that would make it an unsuitable interface, or are you just having trouble finding good documentation on using it?

-- Chris