Re: How how latent should non-preemptive scheduling be?

From: Sitsofe Wheeler
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 18:29:42 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:48:55 +0100
Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
this says you haven't done "make install" on the latencytop
directory so it's not translating things for you.. can you do that
please?
Cause Maximum

Percentage

Scheduler: waiting for cpu 208 msec 59.4 %

you're rather CPU bound, and your process was woken up but didn't run for over 200 milliseconds..
that sounds like a scheduler fairness issue!

I'm at a bit of a loss to explain this. I'm not using the group scheduler and the load average is less than 0.4. CPU usage does seem to spike a fair bit (I'm not sure why rhythmbox needs 50%+ for decoding oggs from time to time) but there always seems to be 20% CPU free...

I don't know where to start debugging this one and I'm suspicious of the way the problem would happen every 30 seconds too... (this laptop is using ath5k for its wifi)