Re: ACPI "Soft-off" power button only rebooting system, not powering off

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 10:56:16 EST

Simon Farnsworth <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you hold it down for 4 or more seconds, the BIOS is supposed to shut
> the machine down without the OS knowing what's happening (no ACPI
> events, just a loss of power). From your problem description, the BIOS
> is noticing *something* about the way Linux sets things up, and
> *choosing* to reboot instead of cutting the power.

Each MB I know takes about eight seconds of pressing the power button to
switch "off". Besides that, having a four-seconds-delay seems rather useless
if you'd switch from "0s -> shutdown, 4 s -> hard shutdown" to "0 s ->
suspend, 4 s -> hard shutdown". I never tried it myself*, but I'd expect
"0 s-> suspend, 4 s -> shutdown, 8 s -> hard shutdown".

If I happen to be correct here, you'd be looking at the wrong side of the
correct tree.

*)I'd fail, because I put in a relais, which would cut the power anyway.