Re: [GIT PULL] AMD IOMMU updates for 2.6.28

From: FUJITA Tomonori
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 09:02:18 EST

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:34:26 +0200
Joerg Roedel <joerg.roedel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 09:24:18PM +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:52:59 +0200
> > Joerg Roedel <joerg.roedel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Huh? The whole point of this patch was to have a common option between
> > > IOMMUs to disable lazy IOTLB flushing. This was suggested by _you_ and
> > > the only reason I wrote this patch.
> >
> > You misunderstand what I meant. I'm sorry if my explanation is not
> > clear.
> >

> > > After this patch we can change other IOMMU implementations with lazy
> > > flushing to use that parameter too.
> >
> > I'm not sure that Calgary wants to support such option. It always uses
> > lazy flushing.
> >

> > What I don't like is that there is no consistency about the option
> > name for lazy flushing. It doesn't mean that we move the option to the
> > generic place.
> >
> > Here's my first reply:
> >
> > =
> > Would it be nice to have consistency of IOMMU parameters?
> >
> > VT-d also has the kernel-boot option for this lazy flushing trick
> > though VT-d 'strict' option is more vague than 'unmap_flush'
> > =
> >
> > What I meant that using the option name 'strict' that VT-d uses for
> > lazy flushing for AMD IOMMU would be better than introducing a new
> > option name, "unmap_flush" for AMD IOMMU though I don't think that
> > 'strict' is the good name.
> >

> > Seems 'fullflush' is better than 'strict'. So I think that it's better
> > to use 'fullflush' for AMD IMMU rather introducing a new name,
> > 'unmap_flush'. But again, it doesn't mean that 'fullflush' moves to
> > the generic place.
>
> Ok, so now we have fullflush, which makes sense for all x86 hardware
> IOMMUs except maybe Calgary (from what I know about Calgary fullflush
> can be implemented there only with a abyssal performance penalty nobody
> is willing to pay). So it makes sense to have the option in the generic
> place.

Not sure. It would make sense but maybe not.

But it's the different topic. Making a generic option that affects all
the IOMMUs is an important issue for everyone. All the parties need to
discuss it and agree.

> But we can surely add a comment that it does not affect Calgary
> to the kernel documentation (and change VT-d to use that parameter too).
> But the AMD IOMMU update chain is not the right place for making big
> changes to other IOMMUs.

Yes, that's the point. We should not have such important change in AMD
IOMMU updates.

So please just make 'fullflush' as AMD IOMMU's option.